Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Opera Garnier

This is the Opera Garnier......we toured it, but I sure wish we could have attended an Opera....I understand most of the performances there now are Ballets.....




The Palais Garnier is probably the most famous opera house in the world,this is partly due to it's use as the setting for Gaston Leroux's 1911 novel "The Phantom of the Opera". The novel subsequently became a very popular movie and Andrew Lloyd Webber's ever popular 1986 musicals. One of my Favorite plays.


This building is of exceptional opulence, right down to the red velvet seats......I was in total awe......
This 7 ton bronze and crystal chandelier was designed by Garnier. In May of 1896 one of the counterweights fell and killed an audience member, this incident inspired one of the most popular scenes in the Novel.


This Grand Hallway is the Lobby!!!Stunning ...YES!!!


Looking out at the busy street below...

1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog